The Hardy Women’s Society was founded in 1898 at Tremlett College by a tight-knit group of like-minded ladies after the culmination of a startling adventure (recounted in The Library of Lost Trees). Today’s members feel so close in spirit to our founders that we like to refer to them by their first names: Bunny, Ada Gentry, and Georgia.
The original purpose of the society was a combination of the social and practical. The women gathered regularly to share their lives, exchange gardening ideas, go on travel adventures, and work together on school, home, and creative projects. What began as a single group located at Tremlett on Antheia Island grew into an organization with branches around the world, including a Men's Auxiliary.
The society has grown through word of mouth and has been passed down through the generations. We still honor the original purpose of the society by bringing together Hardy Women everywhere for regular meetings at local chapters, as well as an annual society-wide celebration that takes place at different host clubs. We strive to maintain our founders' spirit of adventure and curiosity in all of our endeavors.